Sunday, April 18, 2010

Suor Angelica and Gianni Schicchi

I had an interesting perspective on these operas because I sat between a young child (about 7) and an elderly couple. So I got to hear their comments as well as my own.

No complete thoughts tonight, its been a crazy horid weekend. But random ramboings and thoughts get the point across. More to come later.

I will start with Sour Angelica first.

  • I am glad that I knew the plot because I had to crain my neck to read the translation which was painful after a few minutes.
  • I thought it was a good story, though it wasn't terribly intersting.
  • I thought it was a joke that there was only one guy, but its true...
  • The lead was actually played by my old neighbor whom I didn't even know went to school here, so that was awesome as well.
  • As far as the actual opera goes, I wouldn't say that I enjoyed it, though I didn't dislike it either.
  • The acting and singing was very good.
  • It reminded me so much of the beginning of the sound of music though.
  • And there seemed to be quite a few random parts in the play that didn't need to be there. Like the sisters who came in late praying... Just seemed unessecary to the story.

I liked Gianni Schicchi much better.

  • I felt like I could relate to it much more. perhaps because of the modern day elements they incorporated, or maybe due to the humor.
  • It was interesting to see the things I found funny (such as the kid playing his game after his uncle just died) that the old couple next to me though was horrible, and the kid next to me didn't really notice.
  • I personally think I would have enjoyed both of these more if they were in english, though I do think it would take away from the opera a lot.
  • I loved how they mixed modern day with what is obviously a fairly old opera. It gave us a way to relate to the people, even though they weren't speaking english, and were fighting over a donkey (which most of us
  • obviosly can't relate to...).
  • It really didn't even seem like what I had in my mind as an "opera." because the singing wasn't the traditional "opera" high pitched style i imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment