Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Turino

I want to preface this by saying, I feel like I will understand this much more after we discuss it tomorrow because right now I feel very lost. I can understand what he is saying but I guess I don't really get how it fits together, like seing the individual peices of a puzzle but not being able to get the whole picture yet.

The elements of semiosis are the sign, the object, and the interpretant. An expample given was a tree falling in the woods. The tree falling creates airwaves, a potential sign for a sound. So, I am guessing some other signs could be music (obviously, shown in writing), maybe things like a crying baby, an alarm, or maybe even the sound of someone familers voice?

AS far as the sign-object relations, there are many different kinds. If I'm thinking right, each time there is one thing drawn from each of the three catagories. Trichotomy I being the sign it self, T. II being the sign-object relationship (for example: the national anthem reminding people of events where the song is played or the smell of cookies reminding of home), and T. III is how the sign is interpreted.

From there it gets into almost a mathmatical thing. The order terms in each of the trichotomy's were introduced (as well as those other things) play an importance in how they effect eachother. They are seperated into firsts, seconds, and thirds. The firsts items generally cause other firsts and so on. Lower level signs pertain to emotions while higher level cause "language based" responces and reasoning. So the level's of the signs indicate how we will respond to them(?).

Iconic vs. indexical
Icons rely on a resemblance between sign and object, they are signs of identity. Iconic and indexical signs typically work together, though they are different. Indexical signs are emotion-producing and are grounded in personal experience.

How does this pertain to music? The text gives the example of Jimi Hendrix's Woodstock performance of "The Star Spangled Banner" and also talks about a work by Beethoven. Although I am not familer with either piece, (though I plan of googleing (is that a word now?) Jimi Hendrix's later) I can kind of get what hes talking about. The Hendrix peice used icons throughout in the form of sounds (bombs, ect). He uses these and other examples to show that all of the Peircian ideas stated above can be translated into the terms of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment