Thursday, March 25, 2010

Open Space

I didn't feel anywhere near as "prepared" for this event compared to the others. I didn't really have a clue what to expect when I was heading over to the theatre. This could be a good thing I guess. Idon't really know where to start with this so I guess I'll just start at the beginning.

The lecture at 7:00 seemed a little over my head. I though that I know quite a bit about music, I can read enough music to play piano and sing (well kinda sing). I know what things like forte and stagato and other things mean. However, when he was talking about how he writes music, I felt in over my head. Music is by far my most difficult thing we've talked about in class...

The things we talked about in class on Monday helped to understand better though. I'm glad we had a bit of background about composing and Wolfe himself. I actually wish we could have spent more time learning about him in preperation for the event.

Now on to the actual event themselves. The first song was... well... interesting. I really like the idea of using instuments for different purposes than the intended ones, however, I don't know if this really worked so well... I liked both parts and I think they complimented eachother well, however it seemed to be missing a third peice.

I'm sure from a musician's viewpoint, the second peice was very interesting. But I found it (dare i say it?) boring. It seemed like somthing to do in a classroom or as a warm up, but I don't know if I'd consider it a concert ready peice. I can appricate it for the groundbreaking strides the style made and the complicated nature, but just listening to it from the point of view or a non-music student... I don't know that I could say I like it.

Alright the third peice, the play. I really liked having a little background before the play. First, I'll talk about that. If i remember right, he said it was considered a childrens play... I can see why although I beleive it would have been appropriate for kids 50 years ago, but not today. Kids today are too sheltered to understand it (at least i think so). I think the concept is one that is too complicated for a child to understand on their own, but I think with the right preperation for the play, it is a very good lesson for the kids to learn. Maybe they can grow up to be a less judgemental generation than even mine.

So on to the actual play. Where do i start? I suppose the music. I thought it fit in well with the play. I don't really have anything to say about it except that it was a little abrubt in the starting and stopping playing. However, I think this was intentional.

Now the singing. The female singer drove me nuts. I don't even know why, I can't explain this. But she did.... The end where everyone was singing got across the point I think they were going for, but it was... well...wierd. plus some of them wern't the best singers.

The acting was fantastic, as i'm coming to expect from UNC. I especially liked watching the poor man carrying the bags (I forget what he was called). I think that he portrayed his emotions and thoughts like his character would have, even with his very little lines.

What else to say about this? All in all, I enjoyed the 2nd part of the night the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment